Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Beauty of Sunflowers...

I have always loved sunflowers. I think they are beautiful, cheery and they can really brighten up a room! And now I have learned that the seeds from these pretty flowers can be made into a delicious food called "sunbutter." I've found it for sale at Harris Teeter, and Trader Joe's, but I've heard that EarthFare carries it as well. Although it's a bit on the pricey side, it will be gracing our pantry shelves for the next year, or quite possibly forever.

I took Matthew to get tested for a peanut allergy this past Tuesday, and the first test came back positive. There is one more test we are waiting to hear back from, but the only way we can try giving Matthew peanuts is if both tests come back negative. So, in addition to the sunbutter in our pantry, we also have one bottle of Benadryl in his diaper bag as well as an epi pen, and another epi pen in the medicine cabinet. Lord willing we will never have to use them! Matthew can get tested every year to see if he outgrows the allergy. His doctor said that doesn't happen very often, but it is possible.

While we were waiting for the first test results, another doctor told me about this sunbutter. It's similar to peanut butter, and (the best part!) there is no cross contamination from being processed on the same equipment as peanuts. Apparently most other kinds of nut butters can at some point come in contact with peanuts causing an allergic reaction. On the back of the sunbutter label it says very clearly that it was processed in a peanut free environment! Reading labels is going to be one of the biggest things that I do now, especially when I go grocery shopping!

I'm glad we know that he does have this allergy. It's been a lot easier this week knowing what I need to avoid. There is still a lot that we are learning and figuring out. We could still use prayer concerning some decisions we might have to make, or judgement calls dealing with certain foods, and even that Matthew might grow out of this! It has been fun giving him sunbutter and jelly sandwiches this week...he loves them and its cute watching him eat it!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a bummer! I will for sure keep all this in my prayers. I am really glad you found an alternative though:) that's a blessing.

    Love you my dear friend! hope we can talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, so sorry to hear about the allergy. Sunbutter sounds very interesting though, does it taste similar to peanut butter? I've never heard of it!
    Hope you're having a good weekend. Thank you for the phone call, hope we can get in touch with each other soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never heard of sunbutter either, but as a fan of sunflowers i think it sounds great :) sorry to hear about the allergy too, that's a big one. praying he grows out of it definitely! love you too!

    ReplyDelete