Thursday, March 5, 2009

"All that is good...."

Some thoughts from my morning devotions...

I've been reading a devotional book called "The Bathtub is Overflowing but I feel Drained" by Lysa TerKeurst. The chapter I read this morning was just what I've been needing to read, as it dealt with something I've been struggling with for quite some time now. It started out talking about how every woman loves a good love story. We love reading about the obviously strong attractions, we love wondering if the guy will get the girl. We hold our breaths as we read to find out there is some circumstance looming over them that might keep them apart. And we all love to have our hearts cheer (and possibly even shed a tear or two) when they finally kiss and have that happy ever after. Lysa says "Why are we so moved by these stories? I believe it is because God designed out hearts for an eternal love story, our love story with Jesus."

Once I read that, my heart was already beating a little faster. I knew this was going to be a good time with the Lord, a time that would really stick in my heart. The next few paragraphs could not have said it better...I hate to say it, but it was my relationship to a "T." Lysa quoted some women who she had talked to..."I love God, but I'm sad to say my actions don't reflect that very often. I always seem to be answering the urgent calls of my children. Therefore, I never quite make time to hear God's voice." Another said "When I was in college I studied my Bible and made time for God. Now I feel so distant from Him. I've stopped trying to spend time with Him because putting a quiet time on my to-do list made me feel like a failure when I never got to it." Let me just say that it really hurt to read that and know exactly where these women were coming from. Why is it so easy to put the Lord on a back burner? I hate doing the dishes...and putting away laundry...so why is it I can get this stuff done but not have time for the Lord whom I love? Lysa explained that when God's life giving principles are turned into another item on our daily lists, or even a rule we try to follow it becomes another source of stress.

Recognize that all that is good in our lives comes from God, and praising Him for that. That was the first suggestion she made to help find your (my) way back to my true love. She advised writting a list of at least 5 things that were good about different part of my life (my relationship with God, my marriage, my kids, friends, home, misistry....) The second was acknowledging your hearts tug for eternity. To put it simply "When a longing in my heart starts discouraging me, I make the choice to turn it around by seeing it as a reminder of my first love. If nothing here ever disappointed me, I would be tempted to become satisfied without Jesus." No matter what the disappointment (an argument, a change of plans, an encounter with a rude person, a bad hair day...) ask Jesus to fill you, and be drawn to Him. "They are temporary and not worth being worked up over." The last suggestion was to choose to let the Holy Spirit have full reign in your life. Choose to model a gentle quiet spirit and to live as Jesus desires us to.

After taking all this in, writing out my list and studying some Scripture, my heart was full with praise, love, and a reminder of who my first true love is.
Ps. 63:1; 71:5-8

3 comments:

  1. What an encouragement and challenge for my own life. I have been feeling rather dry and weary lately...lots of busyness and very little time spent with my True love.

    thanks for sharing your beautiful heart.
    I love you, my sweet sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you indeed! what an encouragement :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed that. Thanks for sharing your heart and what you've been learning. Love you.

    ReplyDelete